Sunday, May 4, 2014

The best part of the unit

Until now, I’ve learned how much important it’s to me, as a future english teacher, knowing the different cultures that every English-speaking countries has. But my favorite part was the three different world maps. I think that it’s really important to our worldview the map that we “learned” when we were chidlrens, but did we choose the map? No, we didn’t and we definitely should have chosen it, because the fact that impose us a specific world map it’s like we are being force to understand the world in a way that maybe we don’t want it, but it’s so unconsciously that we didn’t notice, and we accept it because we think that is the right world map. But the others are not wrong, they are just different and we see them like “weird” because we aren’t accustomed to those maps. And this “problem” is something really  interesting to me.

So if I have the oportunity to teach a map, I’d like to teach the three of them, because in that way every student will have the oportunity to choice the one and create a worldview really authentic.

Another think that it seems really interesting to me it’s how much we stereotype with no even notice, it’s like something that our brain do automatically and it’s really difficult to stop doing it. But we have to do our best to stop it beacuse it’s something really anoying and we don’t know if it’s true.


Finally, I’d like to say that this first unit was really funny because it made me think about a lot of things, that could be just details like stereotypes, and maps, but, anyway, this “details” are really important to know. This unit definitely changes my worldview.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you have an interesting point of view related to the different maps; it would be interesting to see which map children would prefer after explaining the each of them. I believe that would show us the children’s view of the world and how they understand and relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to refer to the third paragraph of your entry. Stereotypes are something really common among us, above all in our chilean society. It's impressive how much we talk everyday with them without noticing it. I think you're right that we should at least try to avoid them, because in the end they're just fixed images of that we think someone or a group of people is like.

    ReplyDelete