Sunday, May 4, 2014

Influence of Elizabeth in women


Even though there was an unmarried woman in the throne in England, the role of women in that time was still limited. Women were considered as the weaker sex not only physical but also emotional because they were always looking for a man to look after them, if it wasn´t a husband it was their fathers. But despite the limitations there was a big improvement the role of women before Elizabeth.

 Elizabeth had such power, not only because she was the queen, but because of her personality, she was a strong woman so it was difficult to go against her. The other women who tried to be like her at first did not succeed very well, because there was still a patriarchal mentality in society, that was just starting to change a little bit, but at the beginning was hard. Women wanted to be unmarried as her; they wanted to have more power between men. BUT she was the “glint” of the new role of women, so that they’ll soon have the same opportunities as men. Elizabeth was the power of England and women, she strongly fought for her country (literally) and that’s what makes her one of the strongest women for women (and men) ever.

“I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and a king of England too!”

(Elizabeth I, Tilbury speech, 1588)

“I will be as good unto ye as ever a Queen was unto her people. No will in me can lack, neither do I trust shall there lack any power. And persuade yourselves that for the safety and quietness of you all I will not spare if need be to spend my blood.”

(Elizabeth to the Lord Mayor and people of London on the eve of her Coronation)

“I have already joined myself in marriage to a husband, namely the kingdom of England.”

(Elizabeth to Parliament)
Queen Elizabeth I playing the lute
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is a very attractive post I agree with you, because the women were devalued for the mans in that time, but and the same time the Queen was represented the for my a very special person but not only for the way she was "the Queen" also the way that she represented the "new age" with independent women’s although was just the begin.

    ReplyDelete