Friday, March 28, 2014

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World


David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

I choose this song because I really dig the intricate of metaphoric lyrics; David Bowie has been one of the most recognized musician singer-songwriter for over four decades and he has really amazed people with his outer world music.
 


The song could be interpreted in many ways; in my opinion David Bowie had a moment of ultra-lucidity due to a massive abuse of extraterrestrial drugs and travelled back in time and found his younger self, he had an unexpected look into his inner self, where he finds himself to be very different, he is the “The Man Who Sold the World”, he has changed.

In the lines:

Which came as some surprise
I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone, a long long time ago
 
He realized that he became the person he didn’t want to be, and then he notices that he has lost his own identity, and he is aware of it, he knows that he is in control and what he has done has been on purpose as expressed on those lines:

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World

An easier look at this is that it is about a person who sold his own sense of right and wrong, someone who sold his soul for monetary gain, he is "face to face With The Man Who Sold The World" as in looking himself on the mirror.

Other people might see a more religious connection to the song, referring to Adam and Eve, after leaving the Eden, or a talk between God and the Devil.

Maybe this song won't be for everybody but I hope you get my understanding of the song.
Hope you enjoyed it!




No comments:

Post a Comment